About Translit Online:
- Translit is a free online virtual keyboard utility which allows typing in native languages (e.g. Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian, Greek etc.) on a keyboard with latin (English) layout only
- Translit performs dynamic conversion of English characters into phonetically similar Cyrillic alphabet characters, Greek letters, etc. This process is known as transliteration
- For example, the word "babushka" would be transliterated into "бабушка" because these character combinations sound alike. The charactes get converted in real time, so the user would see not the character which they are pressing on the keyboard but their transliterated equivalents, e.g. pressing "r" would produce a Russian character "р"
- Translit is a practical tool for people who do not own a keyboard with Cyrillic layout or are not comfortable with using one. For this purpose, Translit features a virtual keyboard with the keys arranged according to their position in the corresponding selected alphabet
- Translit uses the standard method of transliteration, converting characters according to how they sound, with a few minor adjustments to farther simplify the entry process on mobile devices and phones
- The transliteration function can be toggled on and off by clicking the "Translit ON/OFF" button at the top, which will allow entering English characters without converting them, which is useful for entering product names, addresses, codes, etc.
- More information about transliteration principles and Cyrillic charaters encoding is available on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translit